Monday 30 May 2016

Pincushions

Perhaps it's leftover from my days in the IT sector, but I always feel like if you're not learning, you're falling behind. So, I watch a lot of YouTube sewing videos. Usually, even on the most basic of videos, you can learn something, refresh your memory, or gain a new appreciation of something. Yesterday, I was watching Gertie make a gathered skirt and I noticed that she had a wrist pincushion. What an awesome idea! Who ever thought of wearing a pincushion is a genius! I wanted one.


My thoughts went like this... Gertie's wrist pincushion looks like it's got a metallic bracelet, which isn't good for me due to my metal allergy. But a fabric bracelet would work.  And Gertie's bracelet looks a little too big for her, she had it half way to her elbow. An elasticized fabric bracelet would probably be perfect. And, Gertie's pincushion isn't very pretty...

So I made this one...

Wrist Pincushion

Here it is, on my arm. It has a cardboard circle sewn into the bottom of the pincushion so that I won't stab myself with the pins. It's actually quite comfortable. I put it on to show my husband when he got home from work and I got sidetracked, forgetting that I was even wearing it. He says it looks like a wrist corsage. I think it looks a little like a water lily.

Wrist Pincushion

Once I remembered I was wearing my wrist pincushion, I went back to my sewing table to take it off and I remembered that Diana's pincushion has been missing for a number of years. So I decided to make a little one to replace the one that's missing from her neck.

Dressform Pincushion

Completed projects: 20
Remaining projects: 32

No comments:

Post a Comment