Saturday 5 March 2016

Charcoal Wool Skirt

I'm a conservative dresser at heart. I love the look of a well tailored suit, on a man or a woman. Wool and silk are completely irresistible to me. And I dislike the extreme casualness of today's fashions. So it should come as no surprise that I bought Butterick 5760. I originally bought it for the cardigan pattern, but after a closer look I realized that there are other pieces in the envelope that shouldn't be ignored. The more I looked at it, the more I liked the skirt. I like the contoured yoke and the simpleness of the skirt.

Topstitching along the yoke

I chose a lightweight charcoal wool for my skirt and I lined it with polyester lining. (The pattern is not for a lined skirt, but I thought the skirt would feel more special if it was lined.) Both fabrics came from my stash. And both fabrics originally came from a local second-hand store. (A big thank you to whoever keeps cleaning out their fabric stashes. I've picked up some beautiful pieces of wool suiting,  and other fabrics, at Value Village over the last couple of years.)

Because I chose to line my skirt, I couldn't make it up exactly as the pattern  said, but I didn't change much. The pattern says to stitch the yoke facing to the skirt at top and bottom. I didn't do that. My yoke facing is only attached to the skirt at the waist edge, and it is sewn to the lining at the bottom edge. I also added some topstitching to both the top and bottom of the yoke and that was it.
Hand picked zipper
I hand picked the lining to the zipper, followed the guide sheet to finish the skirt, then hemmed the lining a little shorter than the skirt and sewed the lining to the skirt at the back split.
Butterick 5760, View D
Have you noticed I haven't called it my funeral skirt? That's because I love it! I think this is going to be a go-to skirt pattern for me. I am already imagining an unlined, more fitted, cotton version for summer. Or maybe denim...

B5760 shown with B4985

Completed projects: 7
Remaining projects: 45



1 comment:

  1. Omg it looks gorgeous! Stand tall and proud you did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete