Friday 26 February 2016

What to Make Next

"Thing 3" brought the coxsackie virus home from school. Let me tell you, this is a virus to avoid. So, do that. Avoid it. We're sick, that's all there is to it. Too sick to sew... or do anything else, like breathe. We're on day 6 of this bug. Yesterday I took a shower and got dressed. Then I was so tired I needed a nap but I was dressed. I had the nap anyway. Today, I was wiser. Today I skipped the shower. I changed from my pyjamas into clothes. It wiped me out. Then before we went to see the doctor, I realized my leggings were covered in fluff from my flannelette sheets. They were the same leggings I was wearing while I napped yesterday. I had to change into a fresh pair. Whew! I need another nap. See... it's a nasty virus.

What do you do when you're that sick? I can't sew. Even if I have a couple of hours of awake time, I can't sew... my sewing machine is downstairs. I'd never make it back up the stairs again. And sewing with a fever is probably as stupid as sewing after that second glass of shiraz. I spent a whole day (which may only have been an hour of awake time, who knows?) deciding what to make next.


My wardrobe is lacking in every area. I'm a stay at home mom, and when ever money gets tight, sacrifices have to be made.  Sacrificing new wardrobe pieces is always my first thing. After all, the grocery budget can only get so small, the bills all need to be paid, and my husband and kids all leave the house on a daily basis. They have to look good. But me, my wardrobe hasn't had a good infusion since I last held a paying job... in 2004! My wardrobe is so tiny, that a capsule wardrobe looks big! So far this year, I've made the black cherry bra, the reindeer robe, the houndstooth pyjama pants and the pink pyjama top (those pyjama pieces are really getting a workout this week). There are so many more pieces that I need. What I decided on was "funeral clothes"... No, I'm not that sick. I mean the kind of clothing you would wear to somebody else's funeral.

See, two years ago my dad passed away. I had nothing appropriate to wear to his funeral. I also couldn't go buy myself anything because I would never wear it again. I know that sounds crazy, but in my head they would always be linked to my dad's funeral and I would purposely avoid them (unless maybe I had to attend somebody else's funeral). Now, I'm trying to be ready. I have a 98 year old grandfather and a grandmother who's almost as old. I don't wish them any harm, but I'm also certain that they won't live forever. When it is time, I want to look like I love and respect them as much as I do. I don't want to look like what my mother would call a "poor, church mouse".

So I've decided on Butterick 5760. I have a piece of black wool that will work for the skirt (I'll also try to line it) and a black and grey striped sweater knit that will work for the cardigan. I currently have a white blouse in my closet that I never got in the habit of wearing because I've been at home working in the kitchen and raising children. That should make a funeral appropriate outfit.

Each piece is a basic. Each piece is a neutral. I should be able to get a lot of wear from each piece. The cardigan would be great with jeans. The skirt could be transformed with a bright top. The white shirt will still probably spend most of it's time in my closet, but it's safe from tomatoes and strawberries there. What I'm hoping for, is that I'll get enough wear from each piece that when a funeral does happen I won't feel like my clothing is tainted or used only for funerals. I know that white shirt won't get tainted. It's the shirt I was wearing the day I realized that "Thing 3" was on her way!

1 comment: