Monday 28 December 2015

Sewing Designer Jeans

Last year around this time, I bought a Craftsy class that taught me how to make my own bras. I LOVED IT! I learned so much, and the end result was a bra that fits as well as any store bought bra. There will, no doubt, be a couple of bras in my 52 projects challenge for 2016.

This year, I thought I'd try my hand at jeans. Last night I bought, and watched, Angela Wolfe's "Sewing Designer Jeans" on Craftsy. I bought her class because I've seen her on television a few times and I find her teaching style works for me. This class is no exception.

The thing with this class, though, is that it wasn't what I was expecting. I thought I was buying a class that would teach me how to fit and construct jeans, which this sort of does but it spends most of its time teaching how to distress and top-stitch to mimic the jeans that Angela likes. She does walk you through the whole construction of your garment, but she barely touches on the topic of fit. She also assumes you have a serger and doesn't give you much alternative instruction if you don't have access to a serger. I must say that I am a little disappointed. Would I recommend the class? Yes, but I would suggest adding a class to learn how to get the proper fit from your pants.

I will add a pair of jeans to my 52 projects challenge. But I'm not so sure they'll have much distressing on them. I usually prefer a more conservative look.

The count down is on... Four days left until the challenge begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment