Tuesday 10 January 2017

Blanket Scarf

January is cold in Canada. (BIG understatement) One day last week I was cuddled up on the couch with Thing 3 on my lap. We were huddled in my blanket scarf.

It's the one on the right. I was assured by the salesclerk at Pseudio that it would "literally go with everything". In fact she repeated that to me several times. So now I'm on a mission to find something it doesn't go with. Anyway, Thing 3 thought it was a great idea to have a blanket scarf and she asked me to make her one. 

After some careful deliberation, she chose a "My Little Pony" printed flannelette that was left over from her onesie. I guess when you grow up with a mama who's a seamstress you gain an appreciation for being able to customize your clothing.

It was a very easy project, but also very time consuming. All I had to do was cut (or rather tear) the fabric into a square, sew about an inch in from the fabric edges and then fray them. The flannelette has different weight warp and weft threads, so the larger weft threads came out of two scarf ends very easily. But the smaller threads that had to be removed from the remaining two remaining edges were tough to get out of there. In total, it took me an entire day to make her scarf. Most of that time was spent tickling out those tiny warp threads.


A cozy reading chair for my six year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment